What is a Harambee Card?
Harambee Card is your own reloadable, reliable and reusable bus ticket. The Harambee card allows you to load money on it so that you can travel more safely and conveniently. Now you can load money on your card so that you can travel for longer and without having to queue every time you need to pay for your fare.
The Harambee Card will assist in modernising and transforming the public transport system within the City of Ekurhuleni as it will be an integrated payment solution that will not only be used on Harambee buses but also on other affiliate bus services within the City of Ekurhuleni
Visit any Harambee ticket Kiosk to purchase for your Harambee Card
How much does the Harambee Card cost?
Harambee Card limits and fees
- The maximum single card load/balance, cannot exceed R1500.00,
- The monthly turn-over of value loaded, cannot exceed R3000.00, and;
- The maximum card transaction limit cannot exceed R200.00.
- When money is loaded on your Harambee Card, a loading fee of 1.5% will be charged.
Features and Benefits
- Harambee Card expires after five years
- You can load money on your card by using cash at any of the allocated Harambee ticket kiosks
- No cash transactions between the passengers and the drivers
- The card allows you to transact in South African rand only
- The card allows you to make secure card payments when you travel
- Interests will not be charged on the positive balance on your card
Where to apply
- Rabasotho City Hall [03:45 until 18:00]
- Birch Acres Mall [04:00 until 11:45]
- Cnr. Plane & Isando [12:00 until 18:00]
- Kempton Civic Centre [08:30 until 15:30]
Wednesdays [09:00 until 15:30]
Before you travel
- You must sign the reverse side of the card and keep it safe
- Put enough money on your card to ensure you have a positive balance.
- You should memorise and keep your PIN Safe. You can change your PIN at any Harambee ticket kiosks
- You must make sure that you keep, the security features of the card, and the PIN safe and secure.
Replacing your card
If your card is lost, damaged or expires, you can apply for a new card by producing your proof of identity linked to the card. The remaining amount on your lost card will not be transferred to your replacement card.
You will have to pay again for the replacement card, unless the damage to the card is a factory defect.
Important things to know about Harambee Card
- The card allows you to transact in South African Rand and can only be used in South Africa.
- Contactless payment transactions can be done at merchants with a contactless payment device and which display the MasterCard
- Cash or MasterCard PayPass™ acceptance logo.
- You cannot use this card to access or buy goods or services by telephone or on the Internet.
- The balance on the card will immediately be reduced with the amount of each card transaction.
- As the card can be used offline, the balance on the Card can only be provided, without delay, where the card is present.
- This document is to be read together with the CoE Public Transport Conditions of Carriage, which sets out the terms and conditions for using the Harambee card.
- The CoE Public Transport Conditions of Carriage are available at www.Harambeebrt.co.za.
- These terms and conditions govern your relationship as a cardholder with Nedbank Ltd and a customer of the City of Ekurhuleni’s (CoE) bus service, Harambee.
- These terms and conditions are important and should be read carefully because they govern the use of your fare media (i.e. the Harambee card).
- By purchasing this card, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The card is issued to you to allow you to make contactless and contact payments for card transactions of a relatively low value.
- You are to note that due to the phasing in of the card technology for Harambee, you will only be able to load cash (and not trips/products) onto the card for now.
- When the card expires, the CoE can issue a new card to you if you ask it to do so. Please note that this will be at your expense.
- If the expired card is present and the chip can be read, the issuer can transfer the money, which you loaded previously, on the expired card to your new card within 30 days.
- If the expired card is not present or the chip cannot be read, the CoE will transfer your money to your new card within 30 (thirty) days after you have asked them in writing to do so, on condition that you are able to prove your identity and entitlement to this money. Keep the receipt issued by the CoE to help you do so.
- You are to note that due to the phasing in of the card technology for Harambee, you will only be able to register your card at a later date to be announced by the City /issuer
- Interest will NOT be paid on the positive balance on your card or account.
- Once you have received the card, you must activate the card by changing the default PIN to a new PIN. (The CoE Customer Walk-In Centre or transit kiosk will provide help with this change).
- You should memorise and keep your PIN safe. You can change your PIN at any CoE Customer Walk-in Centre or transit kiosk.
- You must sign the reverse side of the card and keep it safe.
- You may not authorise any other person to use your card. You are responsible for keeping your card safe.
- The card is valid for the period shown on it. You may not use the card once it has expired.
- Currently, there is only one way in which you can load money onto your card. This by using cash at any CoE Customer Walk-in Centre or transit kiosk.
- The balance on the card will immediately be reduced with the amount of each card transaction.
- As the card can be used offline, the balance on the card can only be provided, without delay, where the card is present.
- The maximum single card load / balance, cannot exceed R1500.00,
- The monthly turn-over of value loaded, cannot exceed R3000.00.
- No fees will be charged for the usage of the card. Only when a commuter loads cash on the card, then an amount equivalent to 1,5% of the total amount to be loaded will be charged.
- CoE will charge you a once off fee of R35.00 only for issuing the card and for replacing the card from time to time. When buying the card, you will get a receipt. Keep this receipt as proof of your purchase.
- If you do not have enough money on your card to pay for a card transaction, the transaction will be declined.
- CoE issues the card to you (and not Nedbank Limited).
- Any enquiries you may have about your card or any inaccuracy in the amount of money loaded onto your card or the unavailability of this money for card transactions should be directed to the CoE Customer Walk-in Centre or Transit Kiosk (where the service is available) and not to Nedbank Limited.
- You are responsible for ensuring that the card is used lawfully.
- Any unlawful use of the card may result in the immediate termination of your relationship with Nedbank or CoE or both.
- You will NOT be able to use this card at ATM machines
- CoE may change the amount of these fees from time to time and will let you know about the change within a reasonable time.
- Your card must be treated as cash. Anyone in possession of the card can use it to make contactless payments.
- You must make sure that you keep the card, the security features of the card, and the PIN safe
- If the card is lost or stolen, likely to be misused, or you suspect that someone else may know the PIN, you must immediately notify the issuer’s Customer Walk-in Centre or a transit kiosk.
- Due to the cash nature of the card, neither Nedbank nor CoE can guarantee that the card will not be used, and the funds depleted once it has been reported lost or stolen.
- Nedbank Ltd or CoE will not be liable for the replacement of any lost or stolen card or the remaining value on the card.
- If the card is lost, stolen or damaged, you can ask CoE to issue you with a replacement card. You will have to pay again for the replacement card, unless the damage to the card is a factory defect.
- If the card is lost or stolen, or the chip on a damaged card cannot be read, CoE will transfer the remaining value to your replacement card within 30 (thirty) days after you ask CoE to do so in writing, provided that you are able to prove your identity and entitlement to the remaining value, and the card is registered. You will have to pay again to buy the replacement card from CoE if the card was lost, stolen or if the card is damaged, unless it is clear the damage to the card is a factory defect. Defective cards will be detected when the card is being activated the first time.
- The card remains the property of Nedbank Ltd and, without us losing any right to make any claim which we may have against you,
we have the right to cancel, suspend, repeal or demand the return of the card on reasonable advance notice to you.
- You breach any of these terms and conditions and do not remedy this breach within seven (7) business days of receiving written notice asking you to do so;
- Except to the extent that we acted in breach of these terms and conditions or negligently, we will not be liable for any losses incurred as a result of, or in connection with, any one or more of the following:
- We will be able to start with our services in relation to your card and your account once we have approved your application and the parties have complied with any further conditions imposed by law.
- You acknowledge that the CoE services may be unavailable due to interruptions to our electronic communications network or power outages which are not within our control. We give you notice of these unavoidable interruptions and delays in providing the Services.
- These terms and conditions are governed in all respects by the laws of the Republic of South Africa.
- You agree that the City may bring legal proceedings against you relating to these terms and conditions in any Magistrate’s Court that has the authority to hear and decide on the case. (This authority is called jurisdiction.)
- If any provision of these terms and conditions conflicts with any provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, the provisions of the CPA apply.
- The parties acknowledge that each provision of these terms and conditions is separate.
- If any provision of these terms and conditions is or becomes illegal, invalid or unenforceable for any reason, it must be treated as if it had not been included in these terms and conditions.
- We do not lose any of our rights under these terms and conditions if we do not immediately and in every instance insist on them.
- You confirm that you have read and understood all these terms and conditions.